Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Keeping in practice

So I'm trying to get over the idea of how much mundane patter goes into blogs. The key is to get into the habit of posting, maybe then interesting things will start to come. When I'm out in the world and I'm doing something I think, "Wouldn't this be great to post", but when I come home to post something, nothing comes to mind to post!

Tomorrow an important chapter starts in my American experience. I get my social security number! This winds down the two weeks of brutal bureaucracy I've been going through since I can't even apply for a SSN until I've been in Florida for ten days! I can finally get a debit card, buy a cellphone, get a USF email id, get my tuition waiver, apply for health insurance, get a credit card in two weeks and finally start accumulating credit. Can you believe my credit resets to zero just because I move to a new country?? Sadly frosh week is over and a new term has already begun. I have a lot to read ahead! I hope some of the first year PhD students feel adventurous and still want to do touristy things, otherwise the most exciting part of Florida I see may be the local pub! They seem a fine bunch though. Usually my closest friends come from Residence, but this time around, it may be different. Especially because it seems I will be interacting with these people for at least 3 years! Anyway, I have an hour long bus journey to the SSN office, but it'll all be worth it to get the last of the running around out of the way. Maybe I can take more pictures of the fauna! I'm think I'm still going to be taking pictures of the fauna for a few months now, I'm still in awe. It's very surreal to see palm trees everywhere.

Anyway, here's a Floridian duck.

4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding about the duck thing? Because I don't know what goes on down there.

    That don't look like no duck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should keep a notebook with you and jot down cool things to post when you see them, you know, like writers do! Also, that is an awesome duck. It's a Muscovy duck. I even looked it up in my big book of birds just to be sure. It looks like a juvenile male, and it may in fact be domesticated, unless the ducks have moved from their traditional living areas in the Rio Grande. More fauna please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For whatever reason, I believe your label words should be read as "Bureaucracy. Duck!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Looking forward to reading more about your adventures and seeing more fun Floridian photos :o)

    ReplyDelete